Children and families are supported through services delivered by specially trained treatment foster parents referred to as Parent Therapists. The child lives in a community with the Parent Therapist family. Permanency for child is prime objective. A multi-disciplinary team wraps around family.
To achieve a secure family environment and community for every child and youth who is part of the Therapeutic Family Care Program we are committed to:
- Supporting the child and the care giving family by providing therapeutic interactions that are part of the child’s everyday experience.
- Including everyone, the child, the family and the community, in the child’s life when making decisions.
- Continually sharing information, learning and support with all individuals and groups who work together on behalf of the child.
- Remembering that the work we do today is intended to help the child grow into adulthood.
- Making sure that our work is always being evaluated and improved.
- In all cases permanency and building life long connections are the ultimate goals.
- Every child should be included in decisions affecting their lives.
- The child’s permanency plan informs assessment and treatment/goal planning in order to effect purposeful change.
- Services focus on solutions, being respectful of the strengths, capacities, and courage of those working to change.
- Therapeutic interventions are broad based involving school, community and home.
- Whenever possible, working in partnership with the child’s own family, to effect change.
- Change is effected through life space learning and therapeutic interventions that primarily take place in the child’s daily living space. Additional services may be added to support the child.
- Each family is entitled to continuity of service and an individualized response.
- Behaviour management techniques are used to stabilize the child and promote pro-social skills. The child’s behaviour is seen as a form of communication from the child to the adult about the child’s needs.
- Collaborative teamwork allows for accountability to each other for service excellence.